Helping More Students Succeed
McGuinty Government Doubles Free Online Math Tutoring To Help Students Succeed
Ministry of Education
Starting this September, all students in grades 7 to 10 will have access to Ontario's free online math tutoring program.
This expansion will give over 600,000 students access to Homework Help - a free, real-time math tutoring service that connects certified Ontario teachers with students who are looking for extra support. The program also offers a number of resources online that are available to students and parents at any time, including:
- Video tutorials
- Commonly asked questions
- Interactive math games
- A virtual locker, where students can save their work.
- Funding for the expansion of Homework Help is in the 2011 Fiscal Plan.
- Homework Help's real-time math tutoring is available online five days a week: Sunday to Thursday, from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. EST.
- Last year, 236,000 students had access to the Homework Help program.
- All of Ontario's 90,000 French-language students already have access to SOS Devoirs - an online tutoring service for grades 1 to 12.
- Earlier this year the Homework Help website received an Interactive Media Award for Outstanding Achievement. The award recognized the website's design, usability and functionality, amongst other criteria.
- TVO's Independent Learning Centre is the provider of the Homework Help program across the province.
Homework Help is giving students in Ontario the support they need to succeed. The support provided by resources and programs like Homework Help have resulted in an increased graduation rate and test scores that continue to rise. This is real progress we can all be proud of."
Math can be challenging for many students and Homework Help is providing more students with access to the teachers and resources they need to help them become successful learners."