Improving Accountability In Government
McGuinty Government Builds Stronger Foundation For Transparency
Ministry of Intergovernmental Affairs
Ontario is bringing more openness and transparency to government.
The Members' Integrity Amendment Act, 2010 was introduced and passed today. It:
- modernizes the code of conduct that governs members of the Ontario legislature
- extends obligations to include members in the period leading up to an election
- clarifies requirements for former members of Cabinet
- strengthens the provincial Integrity Commissioner's authority to enforce the code of conduct.
This is part of the Province's plan to make government more modern and accountable.
- The new legislation will amend the Members' Integrity Act, 1994, which aims to prevent ethics violations among members of the Ontario legislature.
- The Members' Integrity Amendment Act, 2010 was developed by representatives of the three political parties in the legislature, in conjunction with the Integrity Commissioner of Ontario.
Together, we are bringing a more open, transparent and accountable approach to government and, most importantly, to the people of Ontario."
Monique M. Smith
These amendments include some important housekeeping changes and will help Ontario maintain a high standard of integrity and strong code of conduct for elected officials."