Clean Energy Investment Creating Over 200 New Jobs
McGuinty Government Helping Company Turn Wastewater Into Clean Power
Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Employment
Anaergia Inc. is making Ontario home to its global headquarters and creating over 200 jobs for families.
The province is helping Anaergia establish its new global centre, manufacturing and assembly facilities. The company will lead water and energy research to develop and produce technologies that convert organic waste and wastewater into clean energy.
- Ontario is providing over $16 million towards the more than $70-million project.
- Anaergia Inc. uses cutting-edge technology to produce biogas and natural gas energy from wastewater and organic waste. Biogas is produced when organic material breaks down in an oxygen-free environment - a process called anaerobic digestion.
- The Anaergia group of companies, that includes the UTS biogas companies, has offices in Europe and the US and its technologies have been used in about 1,600 plants.
- Ontario's Water Opportunities and Conservation Act aims to protect and conserve the province's water while encouraging the creation and export of innovative clean water technology. The Act also attracts investment and creates jobs for Ontarians.
- For the fourth consecutive year, Ontario was named one of the top destinations for foreign direct investment in North America, attracting an additional 21 per cent of new projects in 2010, for a total of 127.
- Ontario has cut taxes on business in half, making the province more competitive and encouraging growth.
- The province is replacing dirty-coal fired plants with cleaner sources of renewable energy like water, wind, solar and bio-energy. Ontario's Green Energy Act has already helped create 13,000 clean energy jobs.
- In April, Ontario had an increase of 56,000 jobs and the unemployment rate declined to 7.9 per cent.
We are pleased to partner with innovative companies that help us secure our position as a global leader in the clean energy and water economy. This is part of our plan to make Ontario's water and air cleaner for our families and create many new jobs in this fast growing industry sector for years to come.”
Our Green Energy Act is attracting investment from innovative companies like Anaergia Inc. This is one more example of how we are working to ensure families and businesses have a modern, clean and reliable electricity system they can count on for generations to come.”
Ontario's competitive location advantages and the combination of its environmental policies, its support for the development of technologies for alternative energy and water, and its people base, were key factors in our decision to establish our global centre here. We are very pleased that the province is backing its policies and job growth by making this important investment in Anaergia.”