Newborn Registration Service
The Newborn Registration Service is a ServiceOntario website which lets parents of newborns register a birth, apply for a birth certificate and Social Insurance Number card, and apply for Canada Child Benefits, all at the same time.
In 2009, Ontario gave parents the ability to register a birth, apply for a birth certificate and Social Insurance Number in one easy-to-use online application. In July 2010, the service was expanded to include Canada Child Benefits, including:
- Universal Child Care Benefit
- Canada Child Tax Benefit
- Ontario Child Benefit
- Canada Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit.
The Newborn Registration Service process is making it easier for parents by:
- Saving time and offering online application convenience
- Eliminating birth registration fees, saving families money
- Improving timeliness and accuracy of benefit payments to parents of Ontario-born children
- Providing parents with easier access to key government services in a more streamlined and efficient way.
Since 2009, over 100,000 parents in the province have used the online service.
Ontario Child Benefit
- The Ontario Child Benefit is financial support for low-income families to help provide for their children. For more information on eligibility, please visit The Ministry of Children and Youth Services.
New, more convenient services are increasingly available through ServiceOntario.ca, such as renewing your vehicle sticker and booking appointments to renew your health card.ServiceOntario also offers money-back guarantees on select online services. These guarantees are the first of their kind in North America. Customers can apply online for a birth, marriage or death certificate and it will be delivered to their door in as little as five days.