Thunder Bay-Atikokan Communities Plan Future Development
McGuinty Government Helping Attract New Investors, Boost Local Economies
Ministry of Northern Development and Mines
Northwestern Ontario communities are working to attract new business and strengthen the local economy.
With the support of the Northern Communities Investment Readiness program (NCIR), the communities are:
- conducting an asset inventory of the Town of Atikokan and its surrounding area ;
- undertaking a study of Atikokan's labour force
- identifying gaps and opportunities for investment in Atikokan's commercial and service sector
- studying the District of Thunder Bay's agriculture sector to help promote future value-added business opportunities.
These initiatives are part of the government's five-year Open Ontario plan to create jobs and economic opportunities in northern Ontario.
- The Thunder Bay agriculture study will be coordinated by the Township of Gillies, the City of Thunder Bay, the Municipality of Shuniah, the Township of Conmee, the Municipality of Neebing and the Township of O'Connor
- The province is providing $32,550 through the NCIR program to support these projects.
- To date, more than $1.9 million in NCIR funding has been approved for more than 200 initiatives across the North.
These investments through the NCIR program are especially important for our small communities that do not always have the financial ability to conduct this type of work"
The NCIR program is an effective tool for northern communities identifying opportunities for economic diversification."