Ontario's Flu Campaign Continues To Protect Ontarians From Seasonal Flu
Province’s Chief Medical Officer Reassures Ontarians After A Federal Vaccine Suspension
Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Ontario's annual flu immunization campaign continues to protect Ontarians from the flu despite a temporary suspension of two vaccines by Health Canada.
"The flu shot remains the most effective and safe way to protect you and your family from seasonal flu," said Dr. Arlene King, Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health. "I encourage everyone to take advantage of the free influenza vaccines."
Late Friday, Dr. King sent a memo to public health units, pharmacies, doctors and other health care practitioners in the province asking them to temporarily suspend the use of two Novartis products (FluAd and Agriflu) as advised by Health Canada. Ontario's influenza (flu) vaccine supplies are not overly affected by the temporary suspension of FluAd and Agriflu which represent only 18 per cent of Ontario's supply. Ontario offers two other publicly funded vaccines not affected by the federal suspension which make up the other 82 per cent of Ontario's supply. Dr. King is working closely with her federal colleagues and provincial health partners to monitor this situation.
Ontario's flu shot is an annual immunization against the influenza flu viruses expected to circulate for that year. Flu immunization in Ontario commenced a few weeks ago and no serious or unexpected adverse health reactions have been reported for any of the vaccines being used, including those from Novartis.
Ontarians who have already had their flu shots and have concerns can call Telehealth at 1-866-797-0000, TTY: 1-866-797-0007.
For more information about the flu and Ontario's flu campaign, visit http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/publichealth/flu/.