Province Focuses On Local Food
McGuinty Government Supports Rural Economy
Ministry of Agriculture and Food
Ontario is spurring local food sales and rural economies by supporting marketing projects across the province.
To promote the local foods that fuel the communities and economies of rural Ontario, the province is investing in 16 new projects through the Ontario Market Investment Fund, including:
- Promotion of the Ontario Fresh Chicken brand
- A marketing campaign for Ontario organic eggs and dairy products
- The launch of the Culinary Tourism Awards
The four-year Ontario Market Investment Fund program has invested more than $4 million in 79 projects to date. The program helps develop economic opportunities through trade events, marketing campaigns and industry research initiatives that foster partnerships and collaboration to promote Ontario foods. The program is part of the Ontario's enhanced investment in 'buy local' initiatives.
- The Foodland Ontario program has expanded to include meat, dairy and eggs in addition to fresh fruit and vegetables.
- The agri-food industry contributes more than $30 billion to the Ontario economy and employs about 700,000 people.
This investment will boost local economies at a time when they need it by supporting industry and community efforts to sell fresh foods that are grown and made right here in Ontario”