Ontario Leading The Way For Electric Cars
McGuinty Government Driving Ontario's Clean Energy Economy Forward
Office of the Premier
Ontario is going to kick-start the widespread availability of electric car charging stations to make it more convenient for families to choose electric cars.
Premier Dalton McGuinty was in Markham today, where he charged an electric car at the PowerStream electrical utility operations centre and announced an $80 million fund to spur the development and investment in electric car-charging stations.
Ontario, together with Infrastructure Ontario, will encourage public and private sectors to come forward with proposals to build, test and expand the availability of recharging facilities. The Province will provide seed money to the projects chosen.
Ensuring that charging stations are conveniently located will get more electric cars on our roads, help families save money and make our air even cleaner. Ontario already offers people incentives to purchase electric cars -- including an incentive of $5,000 to $8,500 and "green license plates," which allow drivers to use the province's network of HOV lanes.
Ontario is working hard to become a global leader in clean energy and is creating thousands of clean energy jobs across the province. Today's announcement is another step toward building a clean energy and manufacturing economy.
- This announcement is part of Building Together which builds on the McGuinty government's infrastructure investments to date with investments of more than $35 billion over the next three years, to create and protect over 300,000 jobs.
- Places around the world such as China, UK, Denmark, Germany, Israel, US, France, Shanghai, Vancouver, Paris, New York City, British Columbia and Quebec are all investing in the charging stations and infrastructure to support the adoption of electric cars.
- The province's vision is to have one out of 20 cars in Ontario electrically powered by 2020.
- Toyota recently announced it chose Woodstock, Ontario as the place to manufacture the RAV4 EV.
- More cars are built in Ontario than any other state or province in North America.
We're taking the next step to ensure car-charging stations are in the right place to power the next generation of vehicles. Just as we worked hard to become North America's number one producer of cars, we're working hard to become number one in North America when it comes to clean energy. Today's announcement takes us one step closer to our vision."
The McGuinty government is planning for Ontario's future. By leading in renewable energy, we are providing Ontario families with the opportunity to save money, while at the same time protecting our environment."