Ontario Providing Over 2,200 Parents Reaching Out Grants
Province Encouraging Parent Involvement in Schools
Ontario is helping parents across the province become more involved in their children's education by providing grants for parent engagement initiatives.
The province is providing over 2,200 Parents Reaching Out Grants to local school councils as well as to district school board Parent Involvement Committees and regional and provincial not-for-profit organizations, such as People for Education, Parents partenaires en éducation, Scientists in School and the Learning Disabilities Association of York Region.
The grants help parents identify and respond to important issues in their school community, including bullying, student nutrition, literacy and math. The grants also support parents to overcome barriers they may face to participate in their children's education, such as language and transportation.
Initiatives that are being supported this year include:
- Workshops and parent resources on mental health and well‐being, cyber bullying and internet safety
- Parent information sessions on math strategies
- The Connecting First Nations Languages in Schools and Homes program to help revitalize the use of Oneida and Lenni Lanape languages
- Family Science Nights to encourage parents to learn about science alongside their children
- A Healthy Bodies, Healthy Earth! parent workshop to promote healthy lifestyle choices.
Supporting parents to be involved in their children's education is part of Ontario's four-part plan to build Ontario up. The plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- Studies show that when parents are more engaged in their children’s education, students are more likely to earn higher grades, have better behaviour and social skills, and continue their education at a higher level.
- Since 2005, Ontario has invested more than $62 million to support parent engagement initiatives across the province.
- Ontario also provides parents with resources to help their children succeed including factsheets and information on the new Health and Physical Education curriculum, as well as information on tips on important topics like bullying, child care and supporting student learning at home.
“Parents Reaching Out Grants are an important investment in parent engagement and student success - both of which are essential to continuing to improve Ontario’s publicly funded education system.”
“School councils and Parent Involvement Committees appreciate this grant program as a way to overcome barriers to parent engagement in our own communities and help more parents get involved. These grants are one of many practical and innovative tools and resources that help foster parent engagement in their children’s learning.”