Ontario Providing Over 2,300 Parents Reaching Out Grants
Province Supporting Parent Engagement in Children’s Learning
Ontario is providing over 2,300 grants to help more parents get involved in their children's education.
This year, under the Parents Reaching Out (PRO) Grants program, the province is making investments in over 2,200 schools and supporting 110 regional and provincewide projects. These grants support local school councils, Parent Involvement Committees and not-for-profit organizations working with parents. This funding drives local solutions that help parents overcome barriers to getting more involved in their children's learning.
This year's PRO Grants are supporting a diverse range of projects, such as:
- Parent support for their children's mathematics learning
- Parent resources on mental health and well-being
- Workshops for newcomer parents to learn about Ontario's education system
- Family health nights to promote active lifestyles
- Supports for parents in high-needs areas
- Support for Indigenous communities.
Supporting parents to be involved in their children's education is part of the government's economic plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education. The plan is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, roads, bridges and transit in Ontario's history and is investing in a low-carbon economy driven by innovative, high-growth, export-oriented businesses. The plan is also helping working Ontarians achieve a more secure retirement.
- More than 2,200 schools will receive a PRO Grant in 2016-17, the highest number since 2007-08. Studies show that when parents are more engaged in their children’s education, students are more likely to earn higher grades, have better behaviour and social skills, and continue their education at a higher level.
- Since 2005, Ontario has invested over $68 million to support parent engagement initiatives.
- Since 2006, the government has awarded over 19,500 PRO grants to school councils and 799 regional/provincial grants; a total investment of nearly $31 million.
- In the 2015-16 school year, 2,141 school councils were approved for a PRO Grant.
“Parents Reaching Out Grants are an excellent and effective way to help parents get involved in their school community. Parents feel empowered to find local solutions that support student achievement and well-being.”
“Our Parent Involvement Committee was able to use the PRO Grant to host a school council conference to bring together parents, teachers, students and many others in our local community. The PRO Grant made it possible to foster new connections, and create the opportunity for collaboration on new initiatives.”