Ontario District School Boards Participating in Reading Pilots
Eight district school boards are participating in the 2016-17 three-year intensive reading pilot projects to support students who have specific needs in the early development of reading skills.
- Greater Essex County District School Board
- London District Catholic School Board
- Rainbow District School Board
- Sudbury Catholic District School Board
- Thames Valley District School Board
- Waterloo Catholic District School Board
- Waterloo Region District School Board
- Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board
These pilots include the use of the EmpowerTM Reading, a program that was developed by Sick Kids Hospital and includes teacher training. The pilots also use other practices that have been effective in demonstration schools, including:
- Training supports for educators
- Access to technology training and support
- A focus on social and emotional goals.