Ontario Honours Employers for Helping Students Gain Hands-On Experience
Linamar Corporation and St. Joseph’s Care Group Support Future Careers
Two Ontario employers were recognized at the annual Ontario Cooperative Education Association conference for providing high school students with quality hands-on learning opportunities in the community.
Guelph's Linamar Corporation and Thunder Bay's St. Joseph's Care Group received the Employer Champion Award for connecting high school students with opportunities including cooperative education placements, work experience and career presentations.
Learning beyond the classroom gives students the chance to explore different career opportunities and supports them in developing the knowledge, skills and attitude to succeed in their future. It also helps students achieve success in the classroom and creates more relevant, applied and innovative learning experiences that spark students' curiosity and inspire them to follow their passions.
Supporting students with learning opportunities beyond the classroom is part of our plan to create jobs, grow the economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- In partnership with the Ministry of Education, the Provincial Partnership Council recognizes employers for their excellence in providing rich and engaging experiential learning opportunities to students.
- As recommended in the Premier's Highly Skilled Workforce Expert Panel report, Ontario is working to expose more high school students to skills needed in the workforce. The goal is to expand experiential learning opportunities for all students, from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
- Ontario is expanding the successful Specialist High Skills Major program over the next three years to introduce 17,000 more Grade 11 and 12 students to career options while obtaining their high school diploma.
- There are approximately 48,000 students enrolled in Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs for the 2016-17 school year.
- An estimated 40,000 employers across the province provide more than 74,000 high school students with valuable work-related learning opportunities through cooperative education programs.
“Meaningful learning opportunities like those provided by the Linamar Corporation and St. Joseph’s Care Group, are enabling students to gain valuable experience that will help them reach their future career aspirations. By getting this experience today, our students will be better prepared for the jobs of tomorrow.”
“For more than 20 years, we have had the pleasure of offering quality cooperative education experiences for high school students. It’s a great way for us to give back to the community by providing students the opportunity to learn first-hand about the many healthcare careers available to them.”
“We are proud of our summer camps, apprenticeship and co-op education placements that help young people find their way to a great career in the manufacturing sector. It is critical for youth to gain these technical skills to prepare them for the dynamic workplace of tomorrow.”