Schools Honoured for Creating Positive Learning Environments
2016-17 Awards for Safe and Accepting Schools
Ontario is recognizing 10 schools across the province through the Premier's Awards for Accepting Schools.
These awards are given annually to recognize teams of students, educators and parents for creativity and leadership in creating positive school environments, and supporting student achievement and well-being.
The Safe and Accepting Schools Teams in the following schools are the recipients of the 2016-17 Premier's awards:
- Black River Public School - Sutton
- Chinguacousy Secondary School - Brampton
- Collège catholique Mer Bleue - Orléans
- Dundas Valley Secondary School - Hamilton
- Eganville and District Public School - Eganville
- Francis Libermann Catholic Secondary School - Scarborough
- Guildwood Junior Public School - Scarborough
- Kingswood Drive Public School - Brampton
- Kirkland Lake District Composite School - Kirkland Lake
- St. Mary Catholic Secondary School - Pickering
Supporting safe and accepting learning environments where students can reach their full potential is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Every school in Ontario is required to have a Safe and Accepting Schools Team.
- Between 2004-05 and 2015-16, the government invested more than $550 million in safe schools and equity and inclusive education to support the work of school boards and school communities.
- In 2016-17, an additional $65 million was invested to further support schools and school boards in providing safe, inclusive and accepting schools to support the achievement and well-being of all students.
- Promoting student well-being is a key goal of Ontario’s renewed vision for education.
“I am so pleased to recognize the students and educators who have shown great leadership and creativity in making our schools safe, inclusive places to learn. Being in school is an exciting time, and it is so important that our kids can grow and discover who they are in a respectful and welcoming environment. These award-winning schools are leading the way when it comes to helping Ontario students reach their full potential.”
“Congratulations to all the recipients of the Premier’s Awards for Accepting Schools for creating positive and inclusive environments. A safe, inclusive and accepting school environment is essential for student achievement and well-being. When all members of the school community work together like this, we can realize the goal of creating respectful and caring places to learn and work.”