The Anishinabek Education System: An Overview
The Master Education Agreement between the Anishinabek participating First Nations and the Ontario Government will support the implementation of the Anishinabek Education System.
The Anishinabek Education System is designed by Anishinabek First Nations for Anishinabek students. The participating First Nations will establish the Anishinabek Education System and develop culturally relevant education programs for the benefit of Anishinabek students.
The Anishinabek Education System includes the Kinoomaadziwin Education Body, Regional Education Councils and Local Education Authorities of participating First Nation communities.
The participating First Nations under the Anishinabek Education System will enact education laws that govern the Anishinabek Education System and the delivery of programs and services. Each participating First Nation has law-making power and authority over education from JK to Grade 12 on-reserve and may setup a Local Education Authority (education board or committee) to support and manage education programs and services at the community level. Participating First Nations will also establish and maintain system-wide education standards that support the transfer of Anishinabek students between the Anishinabek Education System schools and the provincial education system schools.
Participating First Nations
As of August 16, 2017, 23 Anishinabek First Nations have signed the Master Education Agreement with Ontario, including:
- Aamjiwnaang First Nation
- Aundeck Omni Kaning First Nation
- Atikameksheng Anishnawbek
- Beausoleil (Chimnissing) First Nation
- Biigtigong Nishnaabeg
- Biinjitiwaabik Zaaging Anishinaabek
- Chippewas of Georgina Island First Nation
- Chippewas of Rama First Nation
- Dokis First Nation
- Henvey Inlet First Nation
- Long Lake #58 First Nation
- Magnetawan First Nation
- Michipicoten First Nation
- Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation
- Moose Deer Point First Nation
- Munsee Delaware Nation
- Nipissing First Nation
- Pic Mobert First Nation
- Sheshegwaning First Nation
- Wahnapitae First Nation
- Wasauksing First Nation
- Whitefish River First Nation
- Zhiibaahaasing First Nation