Third Reviewer Added to Peel District School Board Review
Government Stands up to Anti-Black Racism in Schools
TORONTO — Today, Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education announced that Shawn Richard has been appointed to join the team conducting the formal review of the Peel District School Board (PDSB).
On November 27, 2019, Minister Lecce announced the appointment of two reviewers to conduct an immediate review of the PDSB. The review is intended to address concerns about anti-Black racism, equity, and issues related to governance, leadership and human resources practices in the board.
The appointment of Richard as the third reviewer is intended to address feedback from community members and stakeholders about the need to have an independent Black reviewer who can contextualize lived experiences that are being shared, and to ensure that there is a voice to speak to the specific ways in which systemic racism affects the Black community.
"We are determined to root out discrimination in all of its forms, and with the addition of Shawn Richard, I feel confident that we will deliver," said Minister Lecce. "We want Black and racialized families in Peel and across Ontario to know that their government is listening and firmly committed to improving equity and opportunity for their children."
The three Reviewers will work closely with the Peel DSB and the Peel community to inform the development of recommendations to the Minister. The aim of the recommendations will be to support effective board leadership and governance that promotes equity, increases accountability and transparency, and safeguards the success and well-being of all students. The ministry website has information on how Peel community members and PDSB staff can share their views or personal experiences as it relates to the mandate of the review.
The Ontario government is committed to creating learning and working environments where all students and staff feel welcome, included, and respected. This review is critical to assuring students, parents, and educators that schools and school boards respect and uphold principles of equity and human rights.
- Information on how to participate in the PDSB review can be found here.
- On November 7, 2019, Minister Lecce made a statement announcing the review of the Peel District School Board.
- On November 27, 2019, Minister Lecce announced the appointment of two reviewers of the Peel District School Board – Sue Herbert and Ena Chadha.
- The reviewers will submit a final report to the Minister of Education, with a copy to the board, in Winter 2020.
- The Peel DSB is the second largest school district in Ontario, serving a diverse student population across Brampton, Caledon, and Mississauga and the surrounding areas west of Toronto. The board has 217 elementary schools and 42 secondary schools and over 155,000 students.