Backgrounder: Community Go Green Fund Helps Individuals Reduce Greenhouse Gases
- Community Go Green Fund is a four-year, $6.6-million program. It came into being under Ontario's Climate Change Action Plan, announced in 2007.
- In its two years, the Community Go Green Fund has committed $4.65 million to community projects throughout Ontario.
- This year the fund received 61 applications and selected 34 projects. Last year, 23 projects were funded. The next round of funding, when applications will be accepted, is expected to be announced in the fall.
- Groups qualified to receive funding from the Community Go Green Fund include charitable or environmental organizations, community groups such as youth or a cultural association, educational institutions and First Nations communities. Municipalities were also eligible under certain circumstances.
- To be considered for funding, projects must reduce greenhouse gas emissions and use all three of the following mechanisms:
- Promote long-term behavioural change and
- Advocate actions that create results that can be measured