Celebrating Excellence in Environmental Leadership
Ontario Government Honours Great Lakes Stewardship
Ontario is honouring six organizations that are making environmental protection of the Great Lakes their priority.
The recipients of the 2012 Minister's Award for Environmental Excellence have made outstanding contributions to the environmental stewardship of the Great Lakes.
- CleanFARMS, Toronto
- Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation, Goderich
- Pine River Watershed Initiative Network, Ripley
- Toronto Zoo
- York University
- Y U Ranch, Tillsonburg
Recognizing environmental excellence is part of Ontario's plan to build a stronger economy, create new jobs and promote innovative ways to protect the environment.
Photo (left to right):
Front Row: Elizabeth Simpson, Pine River Watershed Initiative Network; Adrienne Mason, Pine River Watershed Initiative Network; Minister Jim Bradley; Kim Timmer, CleanFARMS; Brian Friesen, CleanFARMS
Middle Row: Cathy Gilvesy, Y U Ranch; Cynthia Lee, Toronto Zoo; Geoff Peach, Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation; Pamela Scharfe, Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation
Back Row: Bryan Gilvesy, Y U Ranch; Dr. Mamdouh Shoukri, York University; Pavel Graymason, York University
Taken in the Legislative Building, Queen's Park, July 30, 2013
- The 2013 awards will focus on Great Lakes protection and environmental innovation. Applications are being accepted until October 18, 2013.
- Ontario companies, non-governmental organizations, communities, institutions, individuals and students can apply.
- Ontario is committed to providing up to $2 million per year to the Experimental Lakes Area — a world-renowned freshwater research facility that helps support Ontario’s stewardship strategies.
“Today we celebrate just a few of the most outstanding efforts of individuals, groups, and companies in protecting the environment. I hope the examples we see today will inspire others to be innovators in protecting the environment.”