Ontario Recognizes Outstanding Achievements in Environmental Protection
Province Announces Winners of the 2015 Minister’s Award for Environmental Excellence
Ontario is recognizing the outstanding work of 10 groups across the province for their innovative efforts to protect the environment and fight climate change.
This year, the 2015 Minister's Award for Environmental Excellence is recognizing individuals, advocacy groups, companies, municipalities and post-secondary institutions that have worked to:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Improve air quality and climate change resilience
- Showcase leaders and best management practices in climate change work
Recipients of this year's award promoted energy retrofits and engagement strategies to help schools and housing projects surpass greenhouse gas reduction goals, supported sustainable communities and economies, clean technology and energy innovations, as well as, bike-friendly communities.
Protecting our environment and fighting climate change is part of the government's economic plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in talent and skills, including helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education. The plan is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history and investing in a low-carbon economy driven by innovative, high-growth, export-oriented businesses. The plan is also helping working Ontarians achieve a more secure retirement.
- Applications are now open for the 2016 Minister’s Award for Environmental Excellence, and will recognize outstanding efforts to recover and reuse resources that are contained in waste. Examples could include the recovery of nutrients, energy and water from greenhouse operations, water and wastewater treatment systems, and waste systems.
- Since 2011, the Minister’s Awards have recognized 31 recipients and 21 honourable mentions.
“Today, we celebrate the most outstanding efforts of individuals, groups, and companies who protect the environment and fighting climate change in Ontario. I know these award recipients will inspire others to be innovators — not only because it’s good for the planet, but because innovation helps build a strong economy and create new jobs.”