School Well Supply Owner fined $4,000 for Safe Drinking Water Violations
Convicted - 8803129 Mapleview Congregation Inc
Location - London
Description of Offence - The conviction relates to failing to operate a regulated non-municipal drinking water system in accordance with the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) and Ontario Regulation 170/03.
Date of Offence - Between October 16, 2014 and February 8, 2015
Date of Conviction - April 24, 2017
Penalty Imposed - 8803129 Mapleview Congregation Inc. pleaded guilty and was convicted of two offences, was fined $4,000 plus a victim fine surcharge of $1,000.
- Mapleview Congregation Inc. operates a church and a school located on Line 10 in the County of Perth. The school is privately-run by church members, and attended by about 20 - 30 of the members' children.
- Mapleview owns a drinking water system, which serves the school and uses an ultraviolet light water treatment system for the purposes of primary disinfection.
- On February 11, 2015, ministry staff conducted an inspection of the company's drinking water system, and determined that water samples were not being routinely collected and tested in accordance with legislative requirements.
- The inspection also revealed that from January 1, 2014 until at least the date of the inspection, Mapleview did not have a trained person operating the drinking water system, as required.
- The incident was referred to the ministry's Investigations and Enforcement branch, resulting in charges and conviction through a guilty plea.