Leamington Farm fined $5,000 for Ontario Water Resources Act (OWRA) Violations
Convicted - Albuna Farms
Location - Windsor
Description of Offence - The conviction relates to drawing greater than 50,000 litres of water on any day, without a Permit to Take Water (PTTW).
Date of Offence - On or about March 18, 2016 and ending on or about April 20, 2017
Date of Conviction - October 23, 2017,
Penalty Imposed - Albuna Farms Inc. was convicted of one offence under the Ontario Water Resources Act, was fined $5,000 plus a victim fine surcharge (VFS) of $1,250 and was given 6 months to pay.
- Albuna Farms Inc. (Albuna) is a medium size greenhouse operation that covers approximately 18 acres and is located on Albuna Townline in Leamington.
- Albuna draws from ground water for drinking water and irrigation from a well on the property.
- On April 20, 2015, the ministry issued a Permit to Take Water (PTTW) for the site.
- On March 27, 2017, ministry staff attended the site. In reviewing Albuna's file, it was identified that Albuna's PTTW had expired on December 31, 2015, and that a renewal had not been issued or applied for.
- Water taking records indicated that Albuna had been drawing greater than 50,000 litres per day from their well from March 18, 2016 to April 20, 2017, without a valid PTTW.
- The incident was referred to the ministry's Investigations and Enforcement branch, resulting in charges and one conviction.
- A Permit to Take Water was issued by the ministry on October 17, 2017.