Weed Control Company fined $5,000 for Pesticide Act Violation
Convicted - 1232359 Ontario Limited operating as Turf King Sudbury
Location - Sudbury
Description of Offence - The conviction relates to the use of a banned pesticide product during a residential pesticide application.
Date of Offence - On or about May 27, 2016
Date of Conviction - December 8, 2017
Penalty Imposed - 1232359 Ontario Limited operating as Turf King Sudbury was convicted of one offence under the Pesticide Act (PA) was fined $5,000 plus a Victim Fine Surcharge (VFS) of $1,250 with 15 days to pay.
- 1232359 Ontario Limited offers integrated pest management services to residential, commercial and industrial clients.
- On April 5, 2016, ministry staff received a complaint that the company was using banned pesticides for its residential pesticide applications.
- On May 27, 2016, ministry staff attended a residential site on Ronald Crescent in Lively to do an inspection.
- A company truck was parked at the site and a company employee was performing a residential pesticide application. In the back of the company truck was a pesticide tank with hose and nozzle used for the pesticide application; two legal samples were obtained from the tank.
- Sample analysis confirmed the presence of 2, 4-D, Mecoprop and Dicamba, the three active ingredients of Par II, and classified as a Class 9 pesticide banned for cosmetic purposes in Ontario.
- The incident was referred to the ministry's Investigations and Enforcement branch, resulting in one charge and a conviction.