Township of South Stormont Campsite fined $3,000 for Ontario Water Resources Act (OWRA) Violation
Convicted - 475371 Ontario Inc., operating as Lakeview Campsites
Location - Cornwall
Description of Offence - The conviction relates to the company failing to comply with a ministry order requiring a Qualified Person to prepare a report of the Sewage System servicing the site.
Date of Offence - on or about May 31, 2016 and ending on or about January 12, 2017
Date of Conviction - January 30, 2018
Penalty Imposed - 475371 Ontario Inc. was convicted of one offence under the Ontario Water Resources Act (OWRA), was fined $3,000 plus a Victim Fine Surcharge (VFS) of $750 and was given 60 days to pay the fine.
- 475371 Ontario Inc. operating as Lakeview Campsites is located on County Road 2 in the Town of Ingleside, and is a seasonal campground operating from May through September annually.
- Between 1990 and 1992 sewage Permits were approved by the Eastern Ontario Health Unit and were issued for the construction and operation of six large subsurface sewage systems.
- In September 2012 and again in August 2015, on-site Sewage site Inspections were completed by the ministry, and it was identified that modifications had occurred without approval by the ministry or the Health Unit. As a result, the numbered company was required to complete an Sewage System assessment, which they failed to do in 2012 and again in 2015. As a result of the second inspection, a ministry order was issued, to which no response was received.
- The incident was referred to the ministry's Investigations and Enforcement branch, resulting in charges and one conviction through a guilty plea.
- The company has now complied with the ministry order, and there are currently no outstanding compliance issues.