Well Drilling Company and Owner fined $4,000 for Ontario Water Resources Act (OWRA) Violation
Convicted - Amethyst Well Drilling Ltd. and Lesley Wing
Location - Thunder Bay
Description of Offence - The convictions relate to failing to deliver a copy of a well record to the well purchaser and the land owner, and failing to forward a well record copy to the ministry, as required.
Date of Offence - During the period beginning on or about October 31, 2015 and ending on or about January 23, 2017
Date of Conviction - February 16, 2018
Penalty Imposed - Amethyst Well Drilling Ltd. and Lesley Wing were each convicted of one offence under the OWRA. The company was fined $3,000 plus a victim fine surcharge (VFS) of $750, and Mr. Wing was fined $1,000 plus a VFS of $125. Both defendants were given 12 months to pay the fines.
- Lesley Wing owns, operates and is the sole officer of Amethyst Well Drilling Ltd, which is a licenced well contracting company located on Wing Road in Thunder Bay.
- In October 2015, Mr. Wing and the company constructed a well on a lot on Concession 1.
- The Well's structural stage was completed on October 16, 2015. Well Tag A177300 was issued by the ministry to Amethyst and was mounted to the top of the Well some time before December 18, 2015.
- The Site owner at the time of the well's structural stage completion did not receive a copy of the well record within the required timeframe. Additionally, the company did not forward a copy of the well record to the ministry, as required.
- The incident was referred to the ministry's Investigations and Enforcement Branch, resulting in charges and convictions.