Business and Owner fined $17,500 for Environmental Protection Act (EPA) Violations
Convicted - 2265718 Ontario Limited (o/a Future Waste Management Incorporated) and Shawn Davidson
Location - Woodstock
Description of Offence - The convictions relate to failing to submit financial assurance and breaching an environmental compliance approval by failing to ensure that all required waste activities are conducted indoors.
Date of Offence - With respect to failing to submit financial assurance, beginning on or about March 14, 2016 and ending on or about June 26, 2017, and with respect to storing waste outdoors, on or about August 3, 2016
Date of Conviction - June 1, 2018
Penalty Imposed - 2265718 Ontario Ltd., was convicted of one offence under the Environmental Protection Act (EPA) and was fined $5,000 plus a Victim Fine Surcharge (VFS) of $1,250. On the same date, Shawn Davidson was also convicted of one offence under the EPA and was fined $12,500 plus a VFS of $3,125. Both parties were given 4 months to pay.
- 2265718 Ontario Ltd. operating as (o/a) Future Waste Management Inc. operates a waste transfer and processing facility.
- Shawn Davidson is the owner and President of the company.
- The company processes municipal waste, including organic plant and animal waste, wood-waste, used coffee grinds and coffee filter waste.
- On March 21, 2012 the ministry issued an ECA, which was subsequently amended on April 23, 2013 and on November 9, 2015. The ECA imposes terms and conditions regarding the operation of the site.
- During four inspections between August 2016 and May 2017, ECA compliance concerns were identified, specifically that waste was being stored outdoors, contrary to a term imposed by the ECA.
- The Ministry also determined that Financial Assurance had not been submitted by the deadline imposed by the ECA.
- The matter was referred to the ministry's Investigations and Enforcement Branch, and following an investigation charges were laid resulting in two convictions.