Lawn Care Company fined $7,000 for Pesticides Act Violation
Convicted - Hired Hands Group Inc.
Court Location - Hamilton
Description of Offence - The conviction relates to applying banned pesticides and storing a pesticide in an improperly labelled container.
Date of Offence - During the period beginning on or about March 29, 2016 and ending on or about July 20, 2016.
Date of Conviction - September 19, 2018
Penalty Imposed - On September 19, 2018, Hired Hands Inc. was convicted of two violations under the Pesticides Act, was fined $7,000 plus a victim fine surcharge of $1,750 and was given 180 days to pay the fine.
- Hired Hands Group Inc. owns and operates a lawn care business and stores pesticides at a facility in Dundas.
- On July 20, 2016, ministry staff conduct an inspection at the site.
- During the inspection, various empty containers labelled as pesticides containing 2-4-D, Mecoprop and Dicamba were identified, and some containers (including a backpack sprayer) were not labelled with the names of pesticide contents.
- The empty Civitas containers containing banned Class 9 pesticide ingredients had been manufactured on March 29, 2016, which is well after the ban on Class 9 pesticides for cosmetic use.
- Lab analysis of samples taken from various containers at the site determined that the company was in possession of pesticides which were not properly labelled and/or in the containers originally offered for sale or transfer.
- The ministry's Investigations and Enforcement Branch investigated and laid charges resulting in the conviction.