Pulp and Paper Mill fined $175,000 for Environmental Protection Act Violations
Convicted - AV Terrace Bay Inc.
Court Location - Schrieber
Description of Offences - The convictions relate to the release of Total Reduced Sulphur (TRS), a mixture of compounds that produce offensive odours, into the atmosphere by the pulp and paper mill which exceeded ministry discharge limits.
Dates of Offences - On two dates, August 8, 2016 and on September 24, 2016.
Date of Conviction - November 19, 2018
Penalty Imposed - AV Terrace Bay Inc. was convicted on two violations under the Environmental Protection Act and was fined $175,000 plus a victim fine surcharge of $43,750 and was given six months to pay the fine.
- AV Terrace Bay Inc. owns a kraft pulp and paper mill in Terrace Bay.
- On August 8 and on September 24, 2016 the company released Total Reduced Sulphur (TRS), an air contaminant, in excess of the discharge limits set out in Ontario Regulation 419/05 "Air Pollution - Local Air Quality", under the Enviornmental Protection Act.
- On both dates, the ministry's Spills Action Centre received complaints from community residents about odours, itchy, burning eyes and headaches related to the discharges.
- The company notified the ministry of the total reduced sulphur exceedances as required.
- The ministry's Investigations and Enforcement Branch investigated and laid charges resulting two convictions.