Property Owner fined $1,500 for Environmental Protection Act Violation
Convicted - Rebecca Anna Krawczyk
Court Location - Bracebridge Provincial Offences Court
Description of Offence - The conviction relates to non-compliance with a ministry order to register a Certificate of Requirement on title
Date of Offence - During the period beginning on or about October 3, 2016 and ending on or about September 28, 2017
Date of Conviction - October 31, 2018
Penalty Imposed - Rebecca Anna Krawczyk was convicted on one violation under the Environmental Protection Act and was sentenced to a fine of $1,500 plus a victim fine surcharge of $375 with 60 days to pay the fine.
- Rebecca Anna Krawczyk jointly own a property located in the Township of Lake of Bays, District Municipality of Muskoka.
- During the 1970s, the site operated as an unapproved municipal waste disposal site.
- In order to ensure the health and safety of the public and for the protection of the natural environment, the ministry has undertaken an initiative to ensure that closed landfill sites have a Certificate of Requirement registered on title, indicating how the site was formerly used.
- On June 15, 2016, the ministry conducted a closed waste disposal site inspection, which consisted of a file search, a site visit, and post inspection discussions with the owner.
- On July 12, 2016, a ministry order was issued to the defendant, ordering that a Certificate of Requirement be registered on title for the site. However, the defendant failed to comply.
- The ministry's Investigations and Enforcement Branch investigated and laid charges resulting in one conviction.