Sewage Works Operator fined $7,500 for Ontario Water Resources Act Violation
Convicted - 1050213 Ontario Inc.
Court Location - Cornwall
Description of Offence - The conviction relates to contravening a condition of a ministry approval by failing to exercise due diligence to ensure that the sewage works and related equipment are properly operated and maintained.
Date of Offence - During the period beginning on or about June 14, 2016 and ending on or about August 31, 2017.
Date of Conviction - April 16, 2019
Penalty Imposed - On April 16, 2019, 1050213 Ontario Inc. was convicted on one violation under the Ontario Water Resources Act and was fined $7,500 plus victim fine surcharge, with one year to pay.
- 1050213 Ontario Inc. operates as Trisan Equitable Corporation and is the owner of a sewage works on Brookdale Ave in Cornwall and is under ministry approval.
- On June 14, 2016, the operator contacted the ministry to advise that a shaft was broken, and as a result, the sewage works could not be properly operated.
- Approximately 3000 litres of sewage waste normally treated on-site daily had to be hauled away for treatment and disposal at a different facility, until the shaft was repaired or replaced.
- The shaft was fixed on August 31, 2017. As a result, for a period of about 14 months, the sewage works was not properly operated and maintained.
- The ministry's Investigations and Enforcement Branch investigated and laid one charge that resulted in one conviction.