Summer Campground Owner/Operator fined $4,000 for Ontario Water Resources Act Violation
Convicted - Nottawasaga Haven Campground Ltd.
Court Location - Barrie
Description of Offence - The conviction relates to failing to comply with a ministry order by failing to submit a completed application for an environmental compliance approval.
Date of Offence - During the period beginning on or about September 22, 2017 and ending on or about August 27, 2018.
Date of Conviction - September 26, 2019
Penalty Imposed - Nottawasaga Haven Campground Ltd.was convicted of one violation under the Ontario Water Resources Act and was fined $4,000 plus a victim fine surcharge of $1,000 with 12 months to pay.
- Nottawasaga Haven Campground Ltd. is a 35 camp-site and three cabin operation with one year-round residence on-site and is in Simcoe County.
- On November 26, 2014, ministry staff conducted an inspection to assess compliance as it relates to sewage disposal on-site.
- Following the inspection, a report was issued. The company was required to decommission the greywater pits and to retain a qualified consultant to assist in completing a ministry approval application/sewage. The defendants failed to comply.
- In June 2017 and inspection resulted in identification of remaining issues, and an order was issued; the company also failed to comply with the order.
- The ministry's Investigations and Enforcement Branch investigated and laid charges resulting in one conviction.