Ontario Passes Fairness Resolution
Ontario is calling on the federal government to support the province's economic recovery by investing in the future success of Ontarians and recognize that Canada's success depends on a strong and competitive Ontario.
The Ontario Legislature passed a resolution that details six steps the federal government can take to support Ontarians in its 2010 Budget:
- Ensuring current and future transfer payments that support services Ontarians rely on are protected, even as the federal deficit is addressed;
- Committing to the renewal of health care funding agreements before they expire and to the growth of health transfers at the real rate of health care expenditure;
- Positioning Canada as a global leader on the environment by supporting Ontario's burgeoning green economy through such things as a cap and trade program that will support jobs and investment in Ontario, and investing a fair share in Ontario's clean energy initiatives;
- Investing in our people and positioning them for good jobs by living up to the Canada-Ontario Immigration Agreement and ending the current short-changing of new Canadians who come to Ontario;
- Continuing to partner with Ontarians by strengthening investments in post-secondary education and training programs that build workers skills and knowledge for today and tomorrow; and
- Providing stability to the thousands of Ontario families who rely on child care spaces created with federal funding by continuing to fund those quality child care spaces for Ontario children.
“We worked with the federal government to confront the immediate challenge of the global economic downturn. We need to come together again to create good jobs and strengthen the things Ontario families rely on over the long term.”