Honouring Excellence In Skills Training
McGuinty Government Salutes Employers For Training Apprentices
Four Ontario employers are being recognized for their outstanding contributions to training the next generation of skilled workers.
The annual Minister's Awards for Apprenticeship Training celebrate employers that show leadership in training apprentices, support the apprenticeship training system, and promote careers in skilled trades. The 2011 winners are:
- Con's Electric Company Ltd. (Timmins)
- Flo Components Ltd (Mississauga)
- George and Asmussen Ltd. (Breslau)
- The Mane Obsession Hair Salon (Kingston)
Putting Students First is part of the McGuinty government's plan to ensure students and apprentices have access to a high-quality education and training system that equips them with the knowledge and skills for the jobs of the future.
- There are more than 120,000 apprentices learning a skilled trade today - double the number from 2002-2003.
- Since these awards began in 2002, more than 200 employers have been nominated.
“These outstanding employers are making an important contribution to Ontario's economy, as well as their own businesses. Training apprentices is an important part of helping build the skilled workforce Ontario needs to compete for jobs in a global economy.”