Helping Students Find the Right Jobs
Ontario Supports Online Career Matching at Colleges and Universities
Ontario is helping university and college students find good jobs by expanding access to leading-edge technology that provides timely labour market information and connections to businesses.
Magnet, an innovative career-networking platform, uses technology developed in partnership with Ryerson University's Digital Media Zone to collect data on individuals' skills and employers' needs.
With Ontario's support, the system has expanded to 18 colleges and universities across the province to help businesses recruit qualified students and graduates for jobs in their fields.
Supporting youth employment and small business is part of the government's economic plan to invest in people, build modern infrastructure and support a dynamic and innovative business climate.
- Ontario invested almost $1.2 million to help expand Magnet to postsecondary institutions across the province.
- Magnet’s user community continues to grow. To date, over 25,000 jobseekers have created profiles, generating over 40,000 invitations for jobseekers and employers to connect.
- Magnet was founded in partnership with the Ontario Chamber of Commerce, which has a membership of 60,000 small- and medium-sized businesses.
- Students and graduates can access additional labour market information to plan their studies and careers through two Ontario government on-line resources – Ontario Job Futures and Employment Profile.
- Ontario has also supported the Toronto Financial Services Alliance’s Financial Services Career Advisor, an interactive web service that helps identify career opportunities within Toronto's financial services industry.
- Ontario’s Youth Jobs Strategy is investing $295 million over two years to help 30,000 young people aged 15-29 find work, build job skills and start their own businesses.
“Magnet is the quintessential Ontario story — a revolutionary technology developed by the innovative minds of Ryerson University students and alumni that is now being used to help students at colleges and universities across the province. When we connect qualified students and graduates with timely labour market information and the businesses that need their skills, we improve their prospects and strengthen Ontario’s economy.”
“Young people with talent and skill are the promise of our future. Working together to develop connections and opportunities for great jobs and careers is a priority in which Ryerson is one partner among many, and all of us are dedicated to student success.”
“Ontario’s employers are telling us that they’re finding it difficult to connect with workers that have the skills they need. Magnet is not only going to address this barrier by connecting businesses with the right candidates, but also by creating youth employment opportunities across the province — it’s a win-win scenario.”