Applications Open for Ontario Student Summer Jobs
Helping Over a Million Youth Discover Their Passion
Youth in Ontario can now apply for summer jobs and gain valuable skills and experience this summer.
Since 2004, Ontario's Summer Jobs programs have helped almost 1,100,000 students find summer jobs, start businesses and access employment services. Each year, the programs help more than 100,000 students and youth:
- Find a summer job through Employment Ontario or community agencies.
- Get help with résumé writing and preparing for interviews.
- Apply for funding to start their own summer businesses.
- Gain experience working with the Ontario government.
More information is available at www.ontario.ca/readysetwork, along with details on year-round programs to help youth under 30 build skills, start a business, or find a job.
Helping young people get work experience is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- In 2014, Ontario’s Summer Jobs programs allocated almost $78.5 million, which helped 117,217 students.
- Ontario is offering employers a $2-per-hour hiring incentive to hire summer students.
- Ontario’s Youth Jobs Strategy is investing $295 million over two years to help 30,000 young people aged 15-29 find work, build job skills and start their own businesses.
- The strategy’s signature program, the Youth Employment Fund, recently exceeded its two-year goal of helping more than 25,000 young people find jobs and access training.
- Employment Ontario offers year-round services to help Ontarians find employment.
- In 2013-14, Employment Ontario served approximately 155,000 youth across a range of programs, and the network now offers online support through Employment Ontario Live Chat.
- There are more than 35 government programs to help youth build skills, find a job or start a business.
“Providing Ontario’s young people with access to a wide variety of summer work opportunities helps them build valuable experience while saving for their future education. By supporting Ontario’s Summer Jobs programs, our government is helping students test their skills and discover their passion, which is a vital investment in the future of our province.”
“Today we’re marking an historic milestone – one million summer job opportunities for youth created since 2004. Through efforts like our Jobs for Youth Program and the Youth in Policing Initiative, we’re giving at-risk youth the opportunity to change their lives and build the foundations for future success, not only for them but for Ontario. Investing in our youth through programs like these is a wise investment in the prosperity of our province.”
“The YMCA is a strong partner of the Ontario government in providing a wide range of employment support and programs to individuals to improve their skills, build confidence to gain and retain meaningful employment, identify their career goals and connect with employers.”