Ontario Marks 50th Anniversary of College System at Fanshawe College
Province Making Commemorative Investment to Improve the Student Experience in London
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Ontario's College System, the province is making a new investment in Fanshawe College to enhance the experience of students.
Deb Matthews, Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development, was at Fanshawe College today to make the announcement.
Ontario's support will help Fanshawe College create a state-of-the art cyber security lab in the School of Information Technology, replace and upgrade academic equipment, modernize classrooms and install solar panels that will provide a working lab environment for students. The college will also incorporate a number of initiatives that will create a lasting legacy of the College's 50th anniversary.
This year, the province declared April 3 to 9, 2017 as Colleges Week. The funding is part of a provincewide commemorative investment of $50 million in Ontario's 24 publicly assisted colleges, to enhance the student experience.
Investing in postsecondary infrastructure is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is making a commemorative investment of $2.6 million to Fanshawe College.
- In September 2016, Colleges Ontario launched the Start of Something Amazing, a 15-month celebration of the college system’s 50th anniversary.
- In 2015-16, about 83 per cent of Ontario college graduates found work within six months of graduating.
- More than 227,000 students are enrolled full time at Ontario’s 24 publicly assisted colleges.
- If the new Ontario Student Assistance Program were in place today, more than 210,000 college and university students would receive free average tuition. Applications are now open – visit Ontario.ca/OSAP to start your application today.
“Our government is pleased to commemorate the growth and evolution of Ontario’s college system, and the tremendous contributions they have made to our province’s economic growth and vitality. This high-impact investment will provide students at Fanshawe with access to leading-edge equipment and labs—ensuring that they have the right skills for our knowledge and technology-driven economy.”
“This investment allows us to proceed with many initiatives that will enhance the student learning experience, ensuring our graduates are well-prepared for rewarding careers. Both the College and Student Union thank our provincial government partners for their continued support of Fanshawe.”