Assets Of Unlawful Activity Put To Good Use
On December 4, 2009, assets were ordered forfeited to the Attorney General under the Civil Remedies Act following a high profile civil court case in Ontario. These assets included approximately:
- 2,200 bicycles
- 500 bike locks
- 24 bike pumps
- 30 bike seats
- Thousands of wheels, frames and various bike components
- 100 pairs of mesh gloves.
- Two late model Toyota Tacoma vehicles, which were sold for $3,420
- $50,000 from the sale of the property at 927 Queen St. West, Toronto.
The Attorney General has donated:
- Nearly 30 bicycles and more than 1,000 bike components to the Cabbagetown Youth Centre. It will repair and distribute them among hundreds of at-risk youth. Additionally, the centre received 180 new bike locks.
- Some of these bicycles and components will be used to teach bicycle repair skills to youth through a partnership with Charlie's FreeWheels, an organization that taps into the abilities of young people to be creators and leaders, and to have a strong voice in their communities.
- More than 40 bicycles to the Toronto Foundation for Student Success (TFSS) for two Toronto schools: Dr. Marion Hilliard Senior Public School and Rockcliffe Middle School.
- Approximately 350 bicycles to Shkoday Abinojiiwak Obimiwedoon in Thunder Bay. Bicycles, parts and accessories will be repaired and distributed to youth and adults in the Thunder Bay area, and some of these bicycles will be repaired by Shkoday Abinojiiwak Obimiwedoon and sent to North Spirit Lake.
- Approximately 50 bicycles to North Spirit Lake. This donation was facilitated by the Mamow Sha-way-gi-kay-win: North South Partnership for Children, an organization that promotes caring and understanding between north and south and supports the dreams and efforts of remote northern First Nation communities for their children.
- One racing wheelchair was delivered to Variety Village an organization benefiting children with special needs.
- $65,000 earmarked for Legal Aid Ontario, to recover legal fees incurred in a criminal trial related, but separate from this civil case.