Ontario Newsroom

Language training for newcomers to Ontario

Archived News Release

Language training for newcomers to Ontario

McGuinty Government Helps Newcomers Get Job-Ready With ESL

Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration

Newcomers across Ontario are getting language training so that they have the tools to help them succeed at work and life in Ontario.

Good language skills are essential for newcomers to get a job and succeed in the workplace.

The McGuinty government invests almost $60 million in adult non-credit language training a year to help more than 100,000 newcomers get the language training they need.

Thirty-nine schools boards across Ontario are helping adult immigrants learn or improve their English or French, with a range of non-credit courses, from basic to advanced. Fifteen boards provide occupation-specific language training, either on the job or in classrooms.

November 9 - 15 is ESL Week across Ontario. ESL Week is in recognition of both those who have contributed and those who have benefited from ESL learning in Ontario. (http://www.teslontario.org/esl-week)

Quick Facts

  • Each year, 30 % of adult immigrants (about 28,000 people) arriving in Ontario cannot communicate in either English or French, and the remaining 70 % have varying proficiency.
  • Since 2003, Ontario has invested $600 million in programs and services for newcomers, including more than $287 million in language training.

Additional Resources

Quotes

“ESL helps newcomers gain the tools they need to succeed in Ontario’s workplace.”

Michael Chan

Minister of Citizenship and Immigration

Share

Tags

Education and Training Jobs and Employment Newcomers