Province Helping Newcomers Succeed
Ontario Collaborating with Employers to Improve Opportunities for Immigrants
Ontario is bringing together job creators from across the province to ensure that the skills of newcomers better match the needs of employers.
As part of Ontario's Immigration Strategy, the Minister's Employers Table will partner with business leaders to help the province identify labour market needs.
The province is also unveiling the Ontario Award for Leadership in Immigration Employment. This award will recognize:
- Employers who champion diversity in the workplace
- Companies that have shown leadership in recruiting and mentoring immigrants or who demonstrate the positive business impact of hiring immigrants
- Immigrants who are entrepreneurs and create jobs in the province
Making the most of the province's diverse workforce is part of Ontario's Immigration Strategy and supports the government's efforts to build a prosperous economy and a fair society.
- Ontario’s Immigration Strategy aims to raise Ontario’s proportion of economic immigrants to 70 per cent of all those entering the province. Economic immigrants are selected based on their skills and experience, to match the province’s labour market needs.
- The unemployment rate for immigrants who have arrived to the province in the last five years is nearly twice that of Ontario-born residents.
- Ontario’s Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities, Brad Duguid, recently sent a letter to the federal government about protecting Ontario's vulnerable workers.
- The Ontario Award for Leadership in Immigrant Employment will be presented annually in three award categories: The Champion’s Award, The Employer’s Award and an Immigrant Entrepreneur Award.
- Nomination forms for the Ontario Award for Leadership in Immigration Employment will be available in July at Ontario.ca/honoursandawards.
“Our government is working hard to make sure immigrants are able to succeed in our province. But it’s ultimately employers who put those talents to work. We have created this table and this award to give Ontario’s employers a stronger voice in the immigration discussion and to recognize their contributions to our economy.”
“We’re pleased with the approach that Ontario has taken to bring its immigration strategy to life. The Minister’s Employers Table is an excellent opportunity for employers to play a leading role in building a 21st century workforce for Ontario.”
“As an employer, I’m pleased to be part of the discussion about how immigration can help businesses in Ontario grow and succeed on a local and global level. It’s important that employers recognize, and benefit from, the skills immigrants bring to this province.”