2015 Mission to Mexico Promotes Export Opportunities for Ontario Companies
Ontario Marketing Centre Receives Award for Enhancing Trade Connections
The province's Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and International Trade is in Mexico for five days to promote opportunities for Ontario companies to export to Mexico.
Earlier today, Minister Chan was on hand as the province’s Mexico Marketing Centre was recognized by the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Mexico for its efforts to enhance trade and investment between Ontario and Mexico. The Mexico Marketing Centre is the recipient of the Chamber’s ‘Connectivity’ Award for its success in connecting Ontario companies with the Mexican market.
Ontario has a global network of International Marketing Centres that provide on-the-ground information to Ontario companies and help support investment and trade opportunities in the province, including the marketing centre in Mexico City that opened in 2008.
During a keynote address to the Chamber, the minister also encouraged Mexican business representatives to pursue further economic opportunities with Ontario by attending both the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games and the Toronto Global Forum Pan American Edition.
Helping Ontario businesses compete globally is part of the government's economic plan for the province. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- Two-way trade between Ontario and Mexico totalled more than $22 billion in 2014, an increase of 26 per cent over 2010.
- Mexico is Ontario’s fifth-largest source of exports and third-largest importer.
- Ontario opened its International Marketing Centre in Mexico City in 2008.
- The Toronto Global Forum Pan American Edition will be held in Toronto from July 8th to 10th.
- Ontario’s International Marketing Centres are a key element of the government’s Going Global Trade Strategy to increase Ontario’s exports and find new markets for Ontario goods and services.
“Ontario’s officials in Mexico have done a great job bringing our province and Mexico closer together economically. Ontario and Mexico can do so much more together and the TO2015 Pan Am Games and Toronto Global Forum Pan American Edition are great opportunities to reinvigorate our economic relationship.”