Ontario Presents the First Champion of Diversity Award
Award Celebrates Outstanding Contributions toward Inclusion and Diversity
Ontario is presenting three outstanding individuals and four organizations with the very first Champion of Diversity Award.
The award recognizes individuals, groups and organizations who help promote immigrant success, economic growth, cultural diversity and inclusion in Ontario.
This year's recipients include:
· The Orono and Community Syrian Refugee Sponsorship, a program that welcomed a young refugee family to Canada and ensured they received the resources they needed to succeed in a rural environment.
· Hortense Mvuemba, a member of several volunteer committees and an advisor with Ontario's largest French-language school board, who helps the children of immigrant families feel comfortable in their new schools.
· Hamilton Health Sciences, which provides job opportunities to highly skilled immigrants through its Internationally Educated Nurse Integration Project.
Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- There are three categories: Inclusion and Diversity, Cross-Cultural Understanding and Business Leadership in Immigrant Employment.
- Submissions are now being accepted for next year’s award. The closing date is May 15, 2018.
- Nominees must be residents of Ontario or organizations operating in Ontario who have championed inclusion, diversity and cultural understanding for immigrants.
“Diversity is vital to Ontario's growth and prosperity and plays a fundamental role in building a vibrant Province. The Champion of Diversity Award recognizes the invaluable contributions of individuals and organizations in improving the life of immigrants and newcomers. I applaud this year's recipients for their dedication, leadership and effort.”