Supporting Ontario's Wine And Grape Industry
McGuinty Government Strengthens VQA Wines
Ontario is investing in the success and long-term sustainability of its Vintners Quality Alliance (VQA) wines.
The province is supporting VQA wines and Ontario grape growers through the following initiatives:
- Starting this year, the successful VQA Wine Support Program will be renewed with an investment of $6 million per year over five years
- Marketing and tourism activities in the wine regions of the province will be supported by an investment of $3 million per year over five years - an increase of $1 million per year from the previous years
- Starting in 2011, Ontario will provide $3 million per year over four years to help grape growers transition to a long-term focus on VQA wines.
These investments are part of the government's broader, long-term plan for Ontario's wine and grape industry. The plan, announced last October, builds on the success and competitiveness of Ontario's wine and grape industry.
These investments also support the province's new five year Open Ontario plan to create new opportunities for jobs and growth.
- VQA wines are made from 100 per cent Ontario-grown grapes. Grapes used to make VQA wines must meet stringent quality standards for each grape variety.
- Ontario's VQA wine sales have increased from $75 million in 1999 to $173 million in 2009.
- Between 1999 and 2009, the number of grape wineries in Ontario increased from 50 to 146.
“We continue to work with our wine and grape industry to build on the successes of our VQA wines here at home and on the international stage. Our long-term vision is a wine and grape industry that is increasingly competitive and successful, offering products that are recognized across Canada and around the world.”
“Ontario's wine and grape industry has grown significantly in a short period of time and our future is exceptionally bright. The Wine Council of Ontario believes these programs will benefit all partners in the wine and grape industry and that Ontario's focus on VQA wines is essential to our continued growth and success.”
Ed Madronich, Chair
“Ontario's grape growers and wineries produce outstanding world-renowned wines that rival any country in the world for taste and quality. We look forward to continuing to work with the Government of Ontario to create jobs, grow a successful agricultural sector and build a truly 100 per cent Ontario-grown grape and wine industry.”
Bill George Jr.