Ontario Police And Province Team Up To Help At-Risk Youth
McGuinty Government Making Schools Safer For Students
Ontario schools and police services are partnering up to make schools safer by reducing the number of students engaging in bullying and violence.
Police services across the province were invited to apply to the Safe Schools Grants program and partner with local schools to:
- Create teams of police, educators, counsellors, healthcare professionals, parents and students - that will work together to reduce violence and bullying
- Educate students about the safe use of social networking
- Provide student workshops on anger management
- Help police officers become more active and engaged in school-related activities
Preventing crime and promoting safety are part of the Open Ontario Plan to provide safe communities for Ontario families to live and learn.
- Police services across the province were invited to submit proposals to receive a maximum of $50,000 for each project. Grant recipients will be announced in the coming weeks.
- The total provincial investment is $1.68 million for the Safe Schools Grants program.
- Starting in the 2011-12 school year, Ontario schools will be required to report all violent incidents in schools to the Ministry of Education.
- The Province is also providing more than $852,000 to 44 youth-focused community projects through this year's Safer and Vital Communities Grant program.
- Since 2003, overall crime in Ontario has declined by 17 per cent.
“Our schools are amongst the safest anywhere and we want to support this success by engaging Ontario kids and youth in crime prevention programs from an early age. Providing our young students with a safe school environment will help reduce future criminal activity.”
“All children need a safe and inclusive school environment in which to learn and succeed. By working with the community, parents, students and teachers, we can prevent bullying and violence in our schools.”
“Safe schools have always been one of the highest priorities for the Toronto Police Service. We understand the importance of working with young people, in a safe and secure environment, where they can be given the tools and skills to help reduce crime and other anti-social behaviour.”