Developmental Services Housing Task Force now Accepting Proposals
Ontario Seeking Innovative Housing Solutions for People with Developmental Disabilities
Ontario's Developmental Services Housing Task Force is welcoming proposals for original housing projects for adults with developmental disabilities.
The Task Force is looking for creative, inclusive and cost-effective housing solutions that can be replicated in communities across the province. The best ideas will be funded as research and demonstration projects through the 2014 Ontario Budget investment for developmental services.
Submissions are due by April 24, 2015, and should:
- develop partnerships between individuals, families, community agencies, multiple levels of government and the private sector
- expand the range of options and choices available to adults with developmental disabilities that are different than what is currently funded through the Ministry of Community and Social Services
- demonstrate ways to improve the existing developmental services system, including ways to reduce wait lists for housing and residential supports in a timely manner
- promote individualized approaches through inclusive, community-based supports
Projects will be selected through a competitive process, including review from external experts and the Housing Task Force before being recommended to the ministry.
Supporting people with developmental disabilities is part of Ontario's goal of giving everyone a chance to participate in the province's economy and communities. It is also part of the government's four-part plan to build Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives, and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- The Ontario government provides residential supports to more than 18,000 adults with developmental disabilities.
“We know there is high demand for residential supports for people with Developmental Disabilities in our province, which is why the Housing Task Force aims to find a broader set of housing options to help address some of this need.”
“This Expression of Interest for Innovative Housing Models is one step on the long road to addressing the housing needs of Ontario adults with developmental disabilities and their families.”