New Resource to Improve Employment Opportunities for People with Developmental Disabilities in Ontario
Province Supporting Local Employers and Community Agencies
Ontario is helping more people with developmental disabilities find and keep jobs in the community.
The province is contributing $800,000 to help create a new Centre for Excellence for Employment Services. The new centre, which will be run by the Ontario Disability Employment Network, will provide resources to help local community agencies and employers across the province:
- improve employment services, like on-the-job supports, offered to people with developmental disabilities
- build community and employer networks to share best practices and research about employment for people with developmental disabilities
- increase awareness about the benefits of hiring people with developmental disabilities
- develop new employment opportunities for people with developmental disabilities across Ontario
The Centre for Excellence for Employment Services is one of 38 projects that is receiving funding from the Employment and Modernization Fund. The fund offers financial support to projects that promote greater inclusion and independence for individuals with developmental disabilities, as they have traditionally had less opportunity to participate in the labour market.
Supporting employers and helping people with developmental disabilities to live as independently as possible is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province's history, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- There are an estimated 65,000 adults with developmental disabilities in Ontario.
- The Employment and Modernization Fund is part of the Ontario government’s $810 million investment strategy for community and developmental services approved in the 2014 Budget.
- The province funds 370 agencies across Ontario that deliver services to people with developmental disabilities and their families, including employment training and supports.
- Ontario invests more than $1.8 billion in developmental services each year. By 2017-18, that figure will grow to more than $2 billion a year.
- Employment services for people with disabilities
“We hear over and over that a job is not just a great path to financial security – it is one of the best routes to social inclusion there is. By investing in better employment outcomes for people with disabilities, we are investing in their independence, health and overall participation in our society.”
“Including people who have a disability in recruitment strategies is smart business. The Ontario Disability Employment Network Centre for Excellence in Employment Services will add a valuable and greatly needed resource for both employment agencies and employers who want to actively engage people with a disability in their workforce.”
“There are great financial and societal benefits when businesses hire people with disabilities, including increased profits and productivity for companies and giving people with disabilities the capacity to live more independently in our society. The Ontario Disability Employment Network has a great track record in helping people of all abilities reach their employment goals, and I look forward to seeing how the Centre for Excellence will help employers and local community agencies create better opportunities for people with developmental disabilities.”