Ontario Seeking Input on Housing for Adults with Developmental Disabilities
Forums to be Held in Locations Across the Province
Ontario is encouraging people to share their ideas on how to help remove barriers, improve opportunities and support the creation of innovative and inclusive housing for adults with developmental disabilities.
Dr. Helena Jaczek, Minister of Community and Social Services, along with Chris Ballard, Minister of Housing, will be meeting people with developmental disabilities and their families, developmental services agencies, supportive housing experts and developers at a forum on November 30 in Toronto. Forums will also be taking place in parallel at various other locations across Ontario.
People are encouraged to join the conversation by:
- Watching the forum live through the online webcast
- Sharing feedback online
- Organizing their own discussions using ministry materials
- Submitting ideas on Twitter using the hashtag #DSHousingForum.
Feedback and ideas received by the ministry will be made available to the public following the forum.
Developing innovative and inclusive housing ideas for people with developmental disabilities is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario currently provides a variety of housing supports to more than 18,000 adults with developmental disabilities.
- The forum will build on the work of the Ontario Developmental Services Housing Task Force. The province has approved 18 demonstration or research projects recommended by the Developmental Services Housing Task Force through its two proposal calls in 2015 and 2016.
- Watch the forum in Toronto live via webcast
- Visit the Developmental Services Housing Task Force on Facebook
- Learn more about developmental services in Ontario
“There isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution to housing. To identify truly innovative solutions we need to work together to create sustainable options for individuals to support greater social inclusion of people with developmental disabilities. I look forward to hearing from people with developmental disabilities, their families, our partners and the public on this important topic.”
Dr. Helena Jaczek
“We want to ensure that all Ontarians have the opportunity to realize their full potential and inclusive and suitable housing is a critical step towards achieving this. I look forward to hearing from people across Ontario on how we can best meet the housing needs of those with developmental disabilities, and I am committed to working with Minister Jaczek to achieve our government's vision of a strong Ontario in which no one is left behind.”