Powering a sustainable world
McGuinty Government Supports Green Economy in Sarnia-Lambton
The green economy of the future is getting a boost in Sarnia-Lambton thanks to a grant from the provincial government.
The Sarnia-Lambton Economic Partnership will use $250,000 in provincial funding to help the region respond to changes in the global economy and prepare for the future.
The partnership will implement a three-year economic plan called "Powering a Sustainable World." The plan will help:
- Attract jobs in the rapidly growing cleantech sector
- Create a more sustainable industrial base and
- Promote the region's economic advantages to investors.
"Cleantech" refers to products and services that improve performance and efficiency while reducing energy consumption or waste. For example, Suncor Energy of Sarnia is producing ethanol from locally-grown corn. The ethanol is then blended with gasoline to produce a fuel with lower greenhouse gas emissions.
- In 2007, Sarnia placed 3rd in fDi magazine's ranking of "Micro Cities of the Future" based on economic potential, cost effectiveness and quality of life.
- More than $2 billion has been invested in Sarnia-Lambton over the last three years by Suncor Energy, Shell Canada, Greenfield Energy, St. Clair Energy, Northern Ethanol and Optisolar Farms Canada to support innovative energy projects.
- Read more about the "Powering a Sustainable World" strategic plan.
- Learn about other Communities in Transition announcements.
- The Ontario Bioindustrial Innovation Centre will connect researchers and the petrochemical industry to create and commercialize new sources of fuel. The centre is expected to attract $1 billion in investment and support 1,000 jobs.
“Generating economic development requires planning, dedication and teamwork. We're proud to support a plan that positions the region for success in a high-growth sector.”
“Today's announcement builds on existing strengths to develop new opportunities. Our government is working in partnership to diversify and grow the local economy.”
“This funding allows us to move forward with our economic development plans; helping us to develop our cleantech sector and market our strengths to investors.”