New Economic Development Strategy For Durham
McGuinty Government Helps Region Explore Growth Opportunities
Ontario is helping Durham Region strengthen and diversify its economy, attract new investment and create jobs.
With support from the province, Durham Region is undertaking four new economic development initiatives:
- Developing a strategy to attract investment in its clean technology sector
- Hosting a manufacturers expo to showcase innovative local suppliers to prospective clients in October 2011
- Launching an interactive website to support business development and collaboration within Durham's manufacturing sector
- Strengthening the local supply chain in the energy sector.
These initiatives will help support the province's Open Ontario plan, which is focused on creating jobs, strengthening the economy and supporting education and health care services that Ontario families rely on.
- An $83,000-investment through Ontario's Communities in Transition fund will support these initiatives.
- Since 2007, Ontario has helped 36 communities and industry associations across the province implement economic development strategies to support growth and job creation.
- As a result of the province's tax changes, taxes on business investment were cut in half, making Ontario more competitive and encouraging new business investments.
“Helping Durham region evolve its economy is part of this government's Open Ontario strategy to ensure that local economies - and the province as a whole - remain globally competitive.”