Clean Energy Investment Creates 42 New Jobs In Ottawa Valley
McGuinty Government Supports Clean, Renewable Energy Expansion
Ontario is helping NORCAN Hydraulic Turbine Inc. -- a clean energy equipment manufacturer in Carleton Place -- acquire new machinery and expand its plant, creating 12 new jobs and supporting close to 30 additional construction jobs.
Using new, state-of-the-art equipment, NORCAN will design and manufacture larger water turbines that generate clean electricity from moving water. The company exports its products around the world and expects to double its global market share with the expansion.
Partnering with local business is a key component of the 2011 Ontario Budget - Turning the Corner, to create and support 10,000 new and existing jobs and Ontario's Long-Term Energy Plan to help keep costs down for families today, while building a clean, modern and reliable electricity system for tomorrow.
- Ontario is providing over $487,000 from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund to support the $3.2-million expansion.
- NORCAN plans to expand its sales in South and Central America, and serve additional customers in Canada and the United States.
- Through the EODF, the government has helped to create almost 1,700 new jobs and protect over 8,000 existing positions.
- In April, Ontario had an increase of 56,000 jobs and the unemployment rate declined to 7.9%
- See how Ontario's Budget 2011 is supporting job creation and helping the province's economy to turn the corner.
- Visit the Eastern Ontario Development Fund or call 1 866-909-9951 for more information on funding opportunities for eastern Ontario.
- Explore government-funded programs and services for Ontario businesses.
“This investment by the government of Ontario will give NORCAN Hydraulic Turbine Inc. the edge it needs to compete and win in the global marketplace. NORCAN's expansion will also support additional construction jobs and help the economy of Carleton Place as it turns the corner.”
“Our Long-Term Energy Plan is an economic plan with Ontario at the forefront of clean energy, creating a new industry and new jobs. By supporting renewable energy companies such as NORCAN Hydraulic Turbine, we are not only supporting Ontario businesses, but we are cleaning up our air, creating jobs and building a better future for Ontario families.”
“The support from the province will help us expand our capacity and increase our efficiency allowing us to take advantage of significant exporting opportunities. We are thrilled to be on track to double our market share in the renewable energy sector.”