Ottawa Valley Tourist and Convention Centre Creating 10 New Jobs
McGuinty Government Helps Strathmere Turn The Corner
Ontario is helping Strathmere, an historic Ottawa Valley vacation spot, expand its business and attract more tourists to the region. Strathmere's investment will mean 10 new jobs, helping the local economy build momentum as it turns the corner.
Strathmere will build a new 16-bedroom residence to increase its overnight capacity to 52 guest rooms, six meeting rooms and three larger venues, making it a more attractive destination for meetings, conferences, events, weddings and other activities.
Partnering with local business is a key component of the Open Ontario plan and of 2011 Ontario Budget - Turning the Corner, to create and support 10,000 new and existing jobs for Ontario families and strengthen our local economies.
- Ontario is providing $646,770 grant from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund to support the resort's $4.3 million expansion.
- Located in the scenic Ottawa Valley, Strathmere is an historic country retreat and corporate getaway site. In 2008 alone, its three major wedding facilities hosted 191 weddings as well as more than 350 meetings, events and conferences.
- Since the Fund's establishment in 2008, the government has invested $46 million in 96 projects. These investments have created almost 1,700 new jobs, while retaining over 8,000 existing positions.
- Ontario has regained all jobs lost since the recession - with an increase of 56,000 jobs and unemployment rate declining to 7.9 percent in April 2011.
- See how Ontario's Budget 2011 is supporting job creation and helping the province's economy to turn the corner.
- Visit the Eastern Ontario Development Fund or call 1 866-909-9951 for more information on funding opportunities for eastern Ontario.
- Explore government-funded programs and services for Ontario businesses.
“Helping this historic Ottawa Valley retreat attract more visitors will benefit the greater Ottawa community while they turn the corner. This will also help boost eastern Ontario tourism for years to come.”
“This investment is another concrete example of how we are working hard to promote local tourism, while creating good jobs that will greatly benefit the local community.”
Jean Marc Lalonde
“With Ontario government support, we will create a one-of-a-kind, Nordic-inspired Health and Wellness Centre. This project will increase our employee base and position us as a must-see Ottawa Valley tourist destination.”