Ontario Helps Vantage Foods Open In Belleville
McGuinty Government Supports Agri-Food Industry, Creates 150 Jobs
Ontario is helping Vantage Foods - a meat company - open its first Ontario plant and create 150 jobs in Belleville.
The new facility, operational by end of 2011, will incorporate some of the latest technology in the food processing industry and also support local farmers by using Ontario-raised beef and pork.
Partnering with local business and supporting the agri-food industry are key components of the McGuinty government's plan to create and protect jobs for Ontario families and strengthen local economies.
- Vantage Foods specializes in "case-ready" meat products, which are centrally cut and packaged, providing the retailer with safe and efficient delivery, ready for their display cases.
- Food processing is the second largest manufacturing sector in Ontario after the automotive industry.
- Ontario is providing support for Vantage Foods jointly through the Rural Economic Development (RED) Program and the Eastern Ontario Development Fund (EODF).
- In 2010, Ontario was named a top destination for foreign direct investment in North America, second only to California. The province attracted a total of 127 Foreign Direct Investment projects, which created more than 11,200 jobs.
- As a result of the tax changes in Ontario, taxes on new business investment were cut in half, making Ontario more competitive and encouraging business growth.
“Ontario's support for this project will create jobs for our families here in the Quinte region and will support local farmers for years to come. This investment has helped us grow the demand for quality Ontario meat products and strengthen our local economy.”
“When we invest in our food processors, we stimulate community economic development, grow support for local food and create jobs for our families. By giving Vantage Foods the tools it needs to grow and succeed, we're strengthening our agri-food sector and growing our economy.”
“The support we received from the provincial government has helped us expand into new markets and establish an important presence here in Eastern Ontario's food processing network. We are thrilled to be creating 150 new jobs for area families, and are confident that those numbers will grow in the coming years.”
Gary Haley, President and CEO