Solar Manufacturer Creating 50 New Jobs
McGuinty Government Strengthens Clean Tech Industry In Kingston
Ontario is helping Centennial Global Technology expand its solar manufacturing business and create 50 new jobs in Kingston, adding to the 10 new jobs created earlier this year.
With the province's support, Centennial Global Technology is improving its plant facilities and investing in automated equipment that will increase its capacity to manufacture solar panels. This expansion will help the company meet the growing market demands created by Ontario's Feed-in Tariff (FIT) Program. The company will also improve its skills training programming to help employees advance in their careers.
Today's announcement is a key component of the McGuinty government's plan to create and support new and existing jobs for Ontario families, and strengthen local economies.
- Centennial Global Technology (CGT) is a fast-growing eco-friendly company involved in the production of solar panels for the photovoltaic (PV) industry.
- Earlier this year, Centennial Global Technology hired 10 people at its new 20,000 sq. ft premises in Kingston to begin manufacturing solar panels.
- Ontario's investment in CGT is provided under the Eastern Ontario Development Fund.
- By 2025, solar energy will be supporting more than 35,000 jobs and displacing 15 to 31 million tons of greenhouse gas emissions per year, while providing a safer, cleaner environment for generations to come according to the Canadian Solar Industries Association.
- Worldwide demand for photovoltaic (PV) solar power is expected to grow by 40 per cent annually.
- In 2010, Ontario was named a top destination for foreign direct investment (FDI) in North America, second only to California. The province attracted a total of 127 Foreign Direct Investment projects which created more than 11,200 jobs.
- Read Ontario's Progress Report 2011.
- Learn more about Ontario's updated Long-Term Energy Plan that sets the course for a clean energy revolution that is creating thousands of new jobs in Ontario.
- Get more information on Ontario's comprehensive economic and trade news, including its toolkit for businesses.
“Forward-thinking companies like Centennial Global Technology are key partners in the development of Ontario's provincial and regional economies. Local suppliers will benefit from this investment, not to mention Kingston residents.”
“In addition to contributing to economic development, this investment supports the vision of the Ontario government. We are a global leader in the development of renewable energy, which in turn continues to create thousands of jobs. We have here in Ontario a terrific opportunity for investors in clean energy.”
“Congratulations to Centennial and the province of Ontario for their investment in renewable energy. Centennial Global Technology is a significant component for Kingston's vision to become Canada's most sustainable city.”
“We appreciate the Ontario government's commitment to long-term support for renewable energy and its endorsement of our vision to expand in Kingston. The city's commitment to sustainability provides us with an ideal setting for our Ontario operations.”